Assessment Clerk (Posted 6/26/2020)
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This is work involving responsibility for all clerical duties including counter work in an assessment office. Duties are performed under the general supervision of the Assessor in accordance with prepared guidelines and policies. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
Records real property transfers and makes changes to appropriate records;
Checks ownership of property;
Updates tax maps;
Reads deeds on transfers to check accuracy of description;
Locates property locations on tax maps;
Processes and applies exemptions;
Communicates over the telephone with taxpayers, realtors, and attorneys;
Enters valuation and data changes on a computer;
Enters sales on computer for equalization purposes;
Performs incidental typing;
Assists walk-ins with questions regarding exemptions, taxes, transfers, ownership of properties, tax sales and other related issues;
Edit state reports for accuracy in format and numbers;
Checks special district totals for completeness;
Operates office machines.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Good knowledge of office practices and procedures; good knowledge of business arithmetic and English; working knowledge of the principles and terminology involved in real property valuation; ability to operate a personal computer and other office equipment; ability to perform detailed work; ability to follow oral and written instructions; accuracy; tact and courtesy.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and one (1) year of paid clerical experience in an office, six (6) months of which must have been in an office involved in the valuation of real property.
This will be a provisional appointment subject to Civil Service Testing.
PRINCIPAL PLANNER (Posted 2/3/2020)
Annual Salary: Dependent on qualifications and experience.
Description: The City of Jamestown/ Jamestown Urban Renewal Agency is seeking a skilled urban planner with an interest in improving the livability and economic regeneration of the Jamestown community. The planner will have a background in urban design, planning, and land resource management. The planner will work closely with the City Building & Zoning Code Enforcement Officer and Department of Development staff to achieve goals and objectives set forth by the Department. The planner will collaborate with other city departments as necessary to ensure development, zoning and planning activities are coordinated across all relevant disciplines and departments. The planner will provide unbiased guidance on all development activities including design, historic preservation, and environmental impact to the Department of Development, Planning Commission, Department of Public Works, and City Council.
Duties and Responsibilities: Reporting directly to the Director of Development, responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work closely with the City’s elected and appointed leadership in setting and carrying out the City’s vision, mission and objectives for planning.
- Design review of downtown façade projects and preparation of conceptual designs for downtown improvements.
- Evaluate planning legislation and applicability to department projects.
- Author or contribute to the writing of specific plans for adoption and coordinates the approval process working closely with Zoning, Public Works Department, and coordinates public input.
- Coordinate the approval process for plan adoption.
- Coordinate with various entities to ensure the continued successful implementation of adopted plans. Provides guidance in design and makes recommendations for funding.
- Provide technical assistance and guide private developers through the regulatory process.
- Coordinate with developers, building owners, design professionals, and agencies on rehabilitation, restoration, adaptive-reuse and building expansion activities.
- Coordinate the City’s site plan review and historic preservation review process with applicants and all city, county and state governmental agencies involved.
- Provide reliable coordination and guidance of City Planning and Zoning activities such as meetings, monitoring compliance with local, state, and federal laws, and ensuring deadlines are met by developers.
- Coordinate the SEQRA and NEPA environmental review process and policy analysis and works with developers to coordinate process and deadlines.
- Evaluate all site plan review work and all drawings, making recommendations to the City of Jamestown Planning Commission and guiding them through the planning process.
- Write Requests for Proposals to hire planning consultants, architects, and development firms and works in close coordination with the chosen consultants to ensure planning process moves ahead in a timely fashion.
- Provide consult to City Council with regard to recommending changes to existing plans or clarifying the need for new plans and zoning changes or amendments.
- Contribute to the writing of specific zoning changes and amendments when necessary.
- Propose potential projects for grant applications, assists in the writing of the grant and contributes to the administration of the grant.
- Coordinate the grant application writing process with staff taking the lead on project creation, analyzing feasibility, and identifying partners.
- Prepare and generate maps and statistical data and the analysis of the data.
- Compile and prepares statistical data.
- Provide support to economic development efforts.
- Carry out updates to the Department website and use other electronic and paper-based means to improve the form and content of information provided to the public and various stakeholders
- Assist other City Departments and/or DOD teammates with special projects as assigned.
- Special assignments as issued by the JURA Executive Secretary/Director of Development.
Education & Experience Requirements:
Master’s Degree in Urban Planning from an accredited university or college with demonstrated professional planning experience; OR
Bachelor’s Degree in Planning from an accredited university or college and at minimum three (3) years of planning experience.
Must exhibit strong written, verbal, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
Demonstrated computer proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint; Adobe Suite including Acrobat, InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator; Google Earth; Arc Map, Arc View or Map Info; ArcGIS or QGIS applications a plus.
How to apply / Other information:
Please send your resume and cover letter to Director of Development, City of Jamestown, 200 East Third Street, Jamestown, NY 14701 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.