JAMESTOWN, NY – For those who choose to Trick or Treat door-to-door in the city’s neighborhoods, the official Halloween hours in Jamestown, NY have been set from 6pm-8pm on October 31st. The Jamestown Police Department will be providing additional patrols of neighborhood streets throughout the evening.
The Jamestown Police Department offers the following tips to help parents ensure their children enjoy a safe Halloween:
- Children should wear light colored, flame-retardant, short costumes to avoid tripping and falling.
- Add reflective tape to the costume to enhance safety.
- Use crosswalks whenever possible.
- Carry a flashlight so you can see and be seen.
- Use make-up instead of masks, which can be hot, uncomfortable and obstruct a child’s vision.
- Children should Trick or Treat in groups, accompanied by an adult, and should only Trick or Treat within their neighborhoods and visit homes with outside lights on.
- Give and accept wrapped candy and instruct children not to eat any treats until they get home. Examine all candy before allowing children to eat it.
- Keep costumed children away from pets. The pet may not recognize the child and become frightened.
- Avoid hard plastic or wood props such as daggers or swords. Substitute with foam rubber that is soft and flexible.
- Watch for traffic.
Additionally, the City of Jamestown’s 2nd Annual Trick or Treat Trail will take place on October 28th from 5pm-7pm along the Jamestown Greater Riverwalk. The kid-friendly event will begin at Panzarella Park and go to the Washington Street Bridge. Free hayrides, hot chocolate and treats will be available for all.
All citizens are encouraged to be especially aware and alert of activity in their neighborhoods on Halloween night, and notify the Jamestown Police Department of any potentially dangerous or criminal activity.