The next meeting of the City of Jamestown Planning Commission will be
January 23, 2018 at 4:15pm
in the Mayor’s Conference Room, 4th Fl.
200 East Third Street, Jamestown.
Planning Commission — Proceedings by Authority
City of Jamestown, ss:
State of New York,
Mayor’s Conference Room
The regular meeting of the Planning Commission for the City of Jamestown, New York was held on Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 3:30 p.m.
Members Present: Chairman Greg Rabb, Paul Whitford, Jeff Nelson, Regina Brackman, Jeff Lehman, Tom Nelson
Members Absent: Joe Trusso, Paul Andalora
Others Present: Bill Rice, Jeff Hollern, Dave Rhinehart, Andrew Liuzzo, Dave Leathers, Becky Robbins, Christine Schuyler, Tina Holt
Chairman Rabb called the meeting to order.
Mr. Rabb: I can see from the agenda, we have three things to deal with; starting with Lutheran Social Services and new community building site plans.
LUTHERAN SOCIAL SERVICES – NEW COMMUNITY BUILDING SITE PLAN
Mr. Rabb: I assume we’re going to have representatives from LSS speak to us, so state your name for the record, please, and your position.
Mr. Rhinehart: David Rhinehart, Clark Patterson Lee, a designer. Lutheran is proposing a new, approximately 9,300 sq. ft. new building that will be a community wellness building. It’s going to be on the site where the existing office building sits on the corner of Aldren and Falconer Streets. It will have workout facilities, community facilities, offices for some of the staff. There are no variances required; it meets the setbacks, it meets the zoning. The building inspector has reviewed the drawings, Mr. Lehman has reviewed the drawings, Mr. Rice has reviewed the drawings. We are planning on about maybe an 18-month construction period. Once they get approval and a building permit, they’ll go out to bid, solicit bids and hopefully get this going as soon as possible.
Mr. Lehman: This is a remodel, an addition…
Mr. Rhinehart: No, we’re demolishing the existing structure completely.
Mr. Rice: The present site actually had parking on it. The replacement parking was done with a site plan to another parking area and it accommodates the new use, so the parking is okay.
Mr. Rhinehart: Yes, the parking over by Carlson Towers, last year added 36 or 37 parking spaces. To help accommodate relocation of some of the parking that’s on the current site, for them to be relocated. They’ve also got new spaces in the garage and other locations as well. They’ll give their staff directions as to where they’re to park. And a lot of the users of this facility, of course, are the residents at Lutheran. So, they’ll be walking, biking, some of them may drive. They can have family gatherings there on occasion, when people come in from out of town or locally, for birthday parties and stuff like that.
Mr. Rabb: Do we have recommendations from you and Jeff with respect to the project?
Mr. Rice: Staff is okay with it as is.
Mr. Rabb: Staff was okay it. You’re not recommending anything?
Mr. Lehman: No. This has been on the table for quite a while.
Mr. Rice: Over a year.
Mr. Lehman: We’ve had a chance to look at it.
Mr. Rabb: Did you have something to say Jeff? I thought you were going to make a point or ask a question.
Mr. Jeff Nelson: No. I’ve looked this over. I’ve been down there and I think I fairly well understand it. It sounds like a really good project.
Mr. Rabb: Anything else from other commission members? Can I get a motion to review the environmental assessment form?
Mr. Whitford moved to approve the environmental assessment form. Seconded by Mr. Jeff Nelson.
Carried: 4 – 0
Mr. Jeff Nelson made a motion to approve the site plan as recommended. Seconded by Mr. Whitford.
Carried: 4 – 0
SOLID WASTE SERVICES PRESENTATION
Mr. Rabb: The next thing on our agenda is – just as a little background, at the Strategic Planning Commission, we’ve been focusing on downtown and one of the presentations was given with respect to solid waste downtown and how to deal with both garbage and recyclables and one of the recommendations that came out of Strategic Planning was that we thought that maybe we need to find a way to incorporate how to deal with solid waste and recyclables in projects planned for downtown. I think people got a lot out of it, so I asked them to come down to talk to city planning as well as strategic planning.
Mr. Leathers: I think we can go through it pretty quickly. We have Jim Alexander who is the supervisor of the Solid Waste Division and Mike Saar is the Water Resources Deputy General Manager and Becky Robbins, our Communications Manager. What we tried to do with the Strategic Planning and Partnership Commission was to go over what we do downtown; the garbage and recyclable pickup that we do downtown is maybe 20-30% of all of the commercial businesses and developments and one of the outcomes of the discussion was; there’s a lot of developments and projects that occur downtown that don’t really contemplate garbage and recycling pickup as part of their project. And so then, they have a business or rental property and then they realize they have to get rid of their garbage and recycling and it’s certainly a challenge in a downtown environment. I think Jim can walk through the presentation fairly quickly because there are a lot of different players involved in this besides the BPU and any help that the Planning Commission could do to include it as part of their review process, to say, hey have you thought of this. Or this can’t be approved until you’ve got a solution; whether that be a dumpster in a location, but I think there are several issues. One of them is a bunch of garbage out on the sidewalk on Main Street on a Thursday night or if somebody else is picking that up, multiple times a week. The downtown environment, the aesthetics and how that’s managed. Jim, do you want to just walk through the slides?
Mr. Alexander: Yes. As Dave said, I’m Jim Alexander and I am in charge of the solid waste pickup. The map that was pasted by hand. As you can see, it is color-coded. The study was actually, what do we do in the downtown area? Most people thought that any garbage, the BPU took care of. We don’t. The map kind of shows, we have roughly about 14 dumpsters in the downtown area. We have roughly 38 residential, 35 commercial pickups within the downtown area; say between Sixth Street and First and Prendergast and Monroe. We don’t actually pick a lot of that up. There are a lot of other people out there picking up which we’ll get to. The one note is all of these pink dots; those are commercial accounts so where the people come up and say hey, why is there garbage out on the sidewalk on Tuesday? Well, they might be a commercial account that have extra pickups throughout the week. Different restaurants, businesses might need more than one pickup a week. So, that’s why you might see garbage out on the sidewalks, out on the street, on days other than Friday. This is a Friday pickup. So, if you go to the second page, along with the BPU there are at least seven other known garbage collectors that service the downtown area. Obviously, Casella, Beichner Waste is getting back into the business, Affordable Hauling with Bernie Jones; I’m sure you all know Bernie. Kari Walker has taken over some of Bernie’s accounts, Ahlgren’s Trucking, Storer’s Container and of course the City Parks also does collection. So, there are a lot of people in the downtown area that pick up garbage; not just the BPU.
Some of the challenges of the downtown area are obviously, cars and parking. We try to get there on Fridays when we’re collecting it. If it’s not a Friday and we have a commercial customer that has extra pickups, we get there generally first. The guys start at 5:00, between 5:00 and 6:00, they are generally doing the downtown area. We try to get there before people get up, before cars get going, before everybody’s out in the downtown area. We don’t have control over other haulers, so you might see garbage out at 3:00 in the afternoon. It depends on who their hauler is. We don’t have control over that. Where they place it at the curb; if they have it on the curb, we try to get there early in the morning before people get there, but we also have regulations that state that they can put it out at 6:00 the night before. So, it depends on where they’re putting it, what time they can put it out to make it accessible.
As Dave said, one of the things is that people want service, so if a new business comes in, they expect us to just come and put a dumpster somewhere. We’ve had a number of businesses say, I want dumpster service and we say where do you want to put it and they say can’t you just put it here next to the building. If they don’t own it, we can’t put it there. So, in the planning stages of it, that is one thing that is generally more or less overlooked. Everybody knows where the water’s coming from. They know where the power’s coming from, but where is the garbage going to go? That is one thing that’s generally overlooked. I know Labyrinth on Fourth Street, they are in that predicament. They need dumpster service, but they don’t have a place to put it. They either have to give up parking, if they have parking, or they have to do other means with their garbage. Space is limited as far as where people can put dumpsters. I know the Reg Lenna, they just added a dumpster on Spring Street. They had the parking to eliminate. They basically eliminated a parking area to add dumpster service; so, they could get the garbage off the curb, which was nice. There are no standard collection days or times for other trash collectors. That is either something that has to be brought up by city council or something. There really isn’t a time that states when the downtown area has to be collected and the city code does not highlight specific garbage and recycling requirements for the downtown area. There are a lot of challenges in the downtown area. The city, for what little we do in the downtown area, we try to get there first thing, no matter what day we are there collecting. I know the dumpsters, especially the school dumpsters, during sessions, the school dumpsters are dumped every day. So, we’re there by ten after, quarter after five in the morning. That’s why, generally, you don’t see a garbage truck after 7:00 in the downtown area. That’s pretty much it. Does anybody have any questions?
Mr. Lehman: A comment; to piggyback on what Jim was saying, a lot of times what happens is either a restaurant or a caterer, somebody that owns a business in one of these buildings, then they come to us, the city, and say we need a place to put a dumpster. Basically, what Jim’s saying, we want to put it in the alley. That sounds good and it sounds like a perfect use for the alley, but the alleys are used for other things also. Then we can’t plow the alleys because there are dumpsters. It is a problem; it’s growing. We have more and more people calling for dumpsters to be spotted full-time. Not just a two-week type of drop.
Mr. Jeff Nelson: I was driving through the downtown a while back and noticed various size containers in different places and things and I thought, there’s something you haven’t thought out yet, but it looks like you’re on top of that. This is going to be an interesting challenge. I know a lot of these buildings were built and never thought of a big container.
Mr. Lehman: And really, most of these don’t come in front of us if they’re going into an existing building. We won’t see that. When we get a site plan and they’re going to have a full-sized dumpster, we usually require an enclosure and access points. We don’t really see that in the downtown too often.
Mr. Rice: And not only that, but the downtown is totally different.
Mr. Lehman: But, I totally agree with your idea of standardizing when it should be picked up; the times. That’s with city council that we should recommend because there are always garbage trucks in the way all day long.
Mr. Whitford: I just had a question. All of these, I know a lot of these are haulers, but has there been any attempt to maybe approach them and get an ad hoc committee together and find out if there’s something that they all could coordinate with the BPU?
Mr. Leathers: We talked about some improvement efforts that we could do out of the Strategic Planning and Partnership Commission. We talked, I think, about forming a committee to work on that and make recommendations.
Mr. Rabb: I don’t think at this point there’s, what we would call an action team on this issue, but I think there needs to be one. Part of bringing it to Strategic Planning was a lot of people realized this was an issue and with increased activity and development, it’s going to get worse before it gets better, so I think we’re just trying to get ahead of the issue. But, it might involve the BPU, it might involve the City Council, it might involve Strategic Planning, it might involve the Planning Commission.
Mr. Whitford: Yes, because it very seldom comes up in the Planning Commission discussion; the SEQR, the site plan, very seldom is it even brought up. That I can remember.
Mr. Lehman: We deal with it at staff level on every project.
Mr. Rice: But, not to the level like this. Where you place the stuff.
Mr. Lehman; You don’t see too many of these in the downtown. If you’re doing something like remodeling the Lillian Ney building, then yes, that’s something we would talk about at that time.
Mr. Rice: And if you’re moving your catering business into the upstairs of one of these buildings, it doesn’t come before the Planning Commission.
Mr. Rice: Something like that’s going to have an impact.
Mr. Lehman: In a significant amount of ways.
Mr. Leathers: We had a good discussion at the Strategic Planning and Partnership Commission and there was information sharing. One of the directions and request was to come here an provide a little bit of awareness and then just see if from a process standpoint, and insert that question when you are presented with a project.
Mr. Whitford: Yes, it’ll at least be on the agenda for the future site plans.
Mr. Jeff Nelson: I’ve seen a couple of times cars have been parked behind them, or alongside them on the sidewalks, garbage cans, the kind you can pick up, but at the same time, it takes time to jump out, go around the car. God forbid, you ever bang one of them up a little bit. There’s always hard working to prevent that, but it is going to have to be coordinated on some kind of level.
Mr. Lehman: It’s an aesthetics issue also. Throughout the downtown.
Mr. Leathers: The alleys can be treacherous too. If you’re bringing garbage trucks through or recycling trucks through there’s a lot of exposures on the narrow slope.
Mr. Lehman: They weren’t built for today’s garbage trucks for sure.
Mr. Leathers: No. there are certain times when it’s a big challenge.
Mr. Jeff Nelson: You build on bricks, it gets very, very slippery for both vehicles and people.
Mr. Tom Nelson: I have a quick question about the council. Could the council pass a law to tell these vendors when they can pick up garbage? Telling them, you pick it up on Wednesday, you pick up on Thursday.
Mr. Lehman: I don’t think there’s anything on the books. I know a lot of them get picked up every day. Lisciandro’s…
Mr. Tom Nelson: Could we restrict or regulate that is what…
Mr. Leathers: I think you could provide more direction in the city charter.
Mr. Rabb: I think what Tom’s asking is could we do it?
Mr. Alexander: BPU customers, the residential, they are mandated by our rules. The commercial ones, they still have to follow the same guidelines, but they’re going to follow it for however many pickups they have. Dumpsters, you don’t really have an issue with because those are picked up first thing in the morning. Generally, we see that.
Mr. Rice: That could be part of the solution, but I think there’s a lot more particularly with the sites you’re dealing with, because where are you going to store the dumpster, which to me, is one of the biggest issues. There are ways you can do it inside the envelope of the building, but then access doesn’t work. I don’t know.
Mr. Alexander: We have a few of those. City hall here, this is one that we physically come inside. Covenant Manor is another one where we have access to the inside.
Mr. Rice: There’s a lot of issues around this whole problem that have to be dealt with.
Mr. Rabb: Well, we wanted to bring it to the city Planning Commission because, I think, obviously people are aware of this and if downtown does as well as we’re hoping it to do, it’s just going to be a bigger problem and I think there’s more than one way that we’re going to have to approach this, so maybe now that, not that you guys weren’t aware of it, but just to bring it up again, because that was one of our recommendations. Maybe we need to go back to Strategic Planning and discuss creating an action team around this particular issue so we can make recommendations to BPU, to City Council.
Mr. Rice: It really should even involve Larry because the change of use could be what triggers his conversation with where are you going to store your solid waste.
Mr. Rabb: Thank you.
ICE ARENA ADDITION DISCUSSION
Mr. Rabb: I see the third item on here is the ice arena addition discussion. Is that coming from you Dave, or the staff?
Mr. Rice: A combination I think. What we were looking for is what’s the next steps we have to go through. Where is the city council with this, where is the planning commission with it? You’re probably the best one, seeing as you were in that role prior to this to discuss where we stand.
Mr. Lehman: City Council had a public hearing last night. It was very positive. Nobody spoke out against it. So, it goes back to the city council to be voted on this month.
Mr. Rabb: And that’s with respect to the sale of this…
Mr. Lehman: The sale of the property. One of the contingencies on the sale of the property is it gets approved by the Planning Commission. So, that’s where we’re at.
Mr. Leathers: I don’t know who’s received the packets that we provided to city council. I think when we were there in December.
Mr. Rabb: I have one.
Mr. Tom Nelson: I have one.
Mr. Leathers: This is a little bit of background information. I think what we would certainly appreciate is, understanding between today and the February Planning Commission meeting are there specific things that we can do to – we’ve been to a few meetings. I think we were here in August and we had meetings with the Department of Development in July, early August leading up to that. Personally, I come and see other projects present and then they get approval and they move on. Christine Schuyler is here as our co-Vice President of the arena. I think Tom Holt stuck around as President of the Gebbie board. There is a tremendous amount of support, a tremendous amount of momentum for this project and any clarity on what we need to do to try to get some directional approval from the city, directional approval from the Planning Commission. We are in the position of trying to file the design of development or to seek and obtain the additional funding for this project. We do have some funding for the project, but we need more. To go out and spend the money to finalize the design and construction drawings and to do grant application and seek funding to have the support of the city of Jamestown is extremely important to that and for the timing perspective, we really want to get this thing where we’re breaking ground in the early fall timeframe. To be able to do that, there’s a lot of work that needs to be done in the coming months. We’d be interested in what we need to do, if that’s a conditional approval that occurs. I don’t know if that’s feasible. Any type of a positive step forward is what we’d be committed to try to figure out how do we support that in the next three weeks if that’s what gets us to the next Planning Commission in four weeks. I don’t know, Dave, if there’s anything else to add?
Mr. Rhinehart: As far as the easement goes, or the purchase of the land rather, a new map was prepared with the angle cut that was requested by Jeff Lehman and that was put in to Greg Peterson and Greg Peterson is in touch with Marilyn to work out particulars and also, they have the list of concerns that came from the planning board to be addressed, to get that all worked out and hopefully it can be resolved to move forward.
Mr. Lehman: From what I understand, there weren’t any other issues.
Ms. Schuyler: Hi. For those of you who don’t know me, I’m Christine Schuyler, and as Dave had said, I’m here as part of the board of the ice arena. And I guess just a little background; I joined the board of the arena because I am committed and passionate about the health and well being of this community. Not just Jamestown, but the entire county, the visitors that we get to come into our county. I’m also a property owner in Jamestown and a resident of Busti and I read on the board here of Mayor Teresi’s inaugural address back in 2000 and how it says that really, we can only make the future better than realizing that we’re all in this together. And that’s what we’re trying to do here. I joined the board of the arena because I see that as such an opportunity for us to improve the health and the wellbeing of the lives of the people that come to this community. And I’ve been part of the board for a year, year and a half now is all, but throughout this whole development project, we all get very excited and we’ve got so many ideas and we brainstorm and I’m very excited about the Kidzone, both as a mom and soon to be grandma, and knowing the needs of our community, our obesity rates for children and adults are higher than the state average, we’ve got a ton of chronic disease issues. Some place, like what we have right here in Jamestown, we need utilize more for our community. In so many more ways than what we are currently doing and working in conjunction with the National Comedy Center makes perfect sense. We want to see Jamestown grow, we want to see Jamestown get better and have a better tax base and also get more visitors and make this a destination for people to come to and I see that as potential for the ice arena and I’m working closely with the schools; we have so many projects going on with community schools. Our coordinator at the school health education programs and working hand in hand and how can we enhance and work together on all of these projects to make it better.
My other hat is being part of government and I also understand the bureaucracy and the roadblocks and the barriers and all of the t’s that have to be crossed and all the i’s that need to be dotted. And I respect that. But, at the same time, as Dave had said, how can we help provide whatever more information it is that you need, or whatever, to help to move this project along so that we can meet deadlines. We have funding requirements, we’ve got the National Comedy Center sitting there waiting. This is huge for the city of Jamestown. I want to see this grow. I want my kids, the two out of the four that are still here, to stay here and I want my grandbabies that are on the way to stay here. These are important projects and it should be important to all of us, not just from an economic development perspective, but also from a health and wellbeing perspective. Thank you.
Mr. Rabb: Thank you. So, do I understand that the next step is for us to make a recommendation to the city council so that they can go ahead with the sale? Am I understanding that correctly?
Mr. Lehman: That’s already been done.
Mr. Rabb: So, what’s the next step then?
Mr. Lehman: The sale is contingent on the approval of the site plan.
Mr. Rabb: So where are we with the site plan? Is it going to be able to come to us for the February meeting? For approval?
Mr. Rice: I think we need to discuss things on the site plan ourselves to see where we stand.
Mr. Rabb: You mean at commission level. So when will be able to do that?
Mr. Rice: Probably next meeting.
Mr. Rabb: The February meeting. Anticipating approval at the February meeting?
Mr. Rice: No. I think we have to discuss some issues.
Mr. Rabb: So, probably the approval is not going to be until the March meeting? After we have the discussion in February?
Mr. Leathers: These site plan documents were delivered on November first.
Mr. Holt: Just to chime in and put my Gebbie hat on for a second and Dave and the Planning Commission as well. From our perspective, the challenge that we have is that Gebbie has made the investments that we’ve made up to this point. Our role, in addition to that then, is to leverage those investments that we’ve made to go on and identify other funders to keep these projects moving and it really limits our ability to leverage what we’re already putting into play here when we can’t definitively go forward and say date’s set, we’re moving ahead. It’s becoming increasingly difficult for us to achieve a timeline that we all understand to be important going from August backward and August forward as it relates to the opening of the comedy center. And so, my involvement has been a lot different and less so than Dave’s has been on this. But, just talking from Gebbie’s perspective, if there’s anything that we can do in addition to what’s already been done to facilitate the conversation that needs to happen to get this decision made before a March meeting, we’re prepared to do that. I would just challenge and ask this commission to do whatever is necessary to remove the limitations that you have or opportunities that you have to get this thing moving forward. Another month doesn’t seem like a lot, but I will tell you as someone who has developed in this city, and working with timely pricing, a month makes a lot of difference; particularly as it relates to the time that you’re starting a project and ending a project, so this is a very real issue. And it puts a lot of hard work that’s already been put into this and a lot of investment that’s already been put into this and a little bit of risk. I don’t think that’s where any of us want to be. If there’s something that can be provided to address whatever these remaining issues are. Because I think, at least from what I’ve heard, the challenge is we’re not entirely clear what it is that needs to, not to speak for the ice arena, my impression is we’re not entirely clear what we need to do to move this to the next step. That’s really what we’re asking is for a better understanding of what we need to do.
Ms. Schuyler: My understanding is everything really has been provided. We don’t really know what more – what more – as a board member, what more is it that the commission needs for this to move forward?
Mr. Jeff Nelson: There were questions and things that were brought up by different people and I’m not going to get into an extent on that now, that have really never been addressed. So, not everything is addressed for everybody. It’s true that there was a lot of hard work that went into presentations and things, but there are other issues and things that need to be talked out. But, they need to be talked out, actually, within I think, the Planning Commission as well as how it’s going to impact the other communities and that that are involved, the foundations and so on, to deal with it. Deal with it has to be a very popular phrase. I don’t know if you’ve noticed that. I think it came from television somewhere, but I find as a member sitting here, there are things that I still want to get resolved. I don’t want to do it at a public forum. Things I would like to talk about within our group and then we go from there.
Mr. Rice: I think that’s the first step; we meet internally and talk about some of the issues that you’re talking about. The only thing we have to be careful of is when we have a quorum, we have a meeting. I’m not sure how to handle that.
Mr. Rabb: I’m confused with what you’re suggesting I guess.
Mr. Rice: Jeff has…
Mr. Lehman: I’m confused as to why we can’t air them out publicly.
Mr. Rabb: Yes, I think Jeff…
Mr. Rice: It’s fine with me.
Mr. Jeff Nelson: I don’t have a problem with that, but… I bring it up because it has a ….
Mr. Lehman: Well, let’s throw it on the table. What are the issues?
Mr. Leathers: For me, we hear there’s issues and questions, but we don’t get those so we can’t…
Mr. Lehman: Let’s throw the issues on the table.
Mr. Leathers: We had concerns related to traffic studies. I think that this project is not going to impact traffic. There’s a commitment of funding separately that’s going to do a downtown circulation study, so that should be off the table. I heard that there was concern with sightlines to the train station or there was concerns with how this thing was conceived and progressed and built 18-20 years ago and that’s coming out that we want to bring back – you didn’t like something that happened 20 years ago and we’re going to hold this project hostage. I absolutely don’t want to be argumentative. I want to be collaborative and cooperative and supportive. How do we get this project progressed? And it’s very difficult when, in November we say we’ve got a lot of issues with this and here we are two months later, and we’re saying the same thing and none of the issues have been talked about. I don’t know what could possibly happen between now and the February Planning Commission to get some level of support and approval. That’s what we’re committed to support to achieve.
Mr. Rice: First of all, there’s one thing that you have incorrect. That circulation study that you’re referring to? That’s not what that parking and wayfinding study is about. There’s no circulation study at this point.
Mr. Leathers: Tom can maybe not comment on this because it’s a Gebbie commitment, but I think Greg Edwards is going to partner, but Gebbie committed to pay for a circulation study. You provided the quotes to that and that’s going to be done. But, it doesn’t have anything to do with the building expansion project. You can say that 42 projects were approved before this one and this one tips it over the edge, suddenly, we need to find out what traffic is going to be like downtown. That has been answered. That funding has been communicated and committed and that will be done. But, I hope that’s not going to – we’re going to take three or six months to take this project and say this is not going forward until a circulation study is done as to how do all these things impact the east end of the city.
Mr. Rabb: Well, I think these questions have to be discussed, but I do think they have to be discussed publicly. I don’t know any other way to do that.
Mr. Jeff Nelson: That would probably be a delay. I’m not saying you shouldn’t. I’m saying in some ways there’s an advantage to people being able to talk things out and then go forward with these suggestions.
Mr. Rabb: But then, one of my suggestions would be, since my return to my old roost as chairman of the Planning Commission, why one of things that I remember doing in the past is we’ve had special meetings in between. I’d be willing to do a special meeting to have a discussion on this so that maybe we could act on it in February. I know a little bit about what you’ve been doing with it up to this point, but obviously because I had a different role, I wasn’t as involved. I did talk to Bill, but I think, why can’t we have a special meeting to get all of these issues out on the table so we can resolve them so that we could act on them in February.
Mr. Rice: That’s fine. Why don’t you put together some of your concerns and anybody else in the commission, concerns they had and we can put them out on the table and we can talk about them in public.
Mr. Rabb: Let’s have a special meeting just on that issue alone.
Mr. Whitford: I think also, in all fairness, if we have issues and we’re going to discuss them publicly, they need to know all of these issues prior to the meeting. Not coming into the meeting flat-footed. I think everybody should, you know, you need that transparency and everybody be able to take a look at them and say, this is really an issue or we can address it or it isn’t an issue. But, I think we need to have a special meeting. I’d hate to delay it. If we aren’t going to recommend it, that needs to be known as early as possible to both sides because we all know how difficult it is these days to obtain money for any project; city, county. You have so many entities that are involved in it with the state and federal and foundations and it has to be a collaborative effort and I think also the discussion has to be that way too.
Mr. Rice: I would suggest that anybody on the commission – any concerns they have, send them in to me, we’ll compile them and we’ll send them off to you, so you know ahead of time.
Mr. Leathers: That’d be great.
Mr. Rabb: When is our next meeting of this commission?
Mr. Rice: The third Tuesday is the 20th.
Mr. Rabb: The 20th right. So, can we have a special meeting on the 6th of February?
Mr. Rice: We’ll have to check about the – if it’s available. Just send me the date that you’re looking at.
Mr. Rabb: I’m looking at the 6th and if you have concerns, send them to Bill and you’ll forward them out?
Mr. Rice: I’ll forward them on.
Mr. Rabb: Let’s see if we can get this done and not delay it any further.
Mr. Jeff Nelson: I’d like to see it move along. Things get held up so easily when people don’t talk. Not so much when they don’t talk, but when they don’t listen. When they don’t listen to others, they keep going on and on and the other does too and you don’t get anywhere.
Mr. Rabb: And every once in a while, you’ve had a special meeting I know in the past. No reason why we can’t do it again. If that’s okay with everybody.
Mr. Whitford: I would, on behalf of the Planning Commission, would like to appoint you as our representative to the Strategic Planning and Partnerships Commission.
Mr. Jeff Nelson seconded the motion.
Carried: 4 – 0
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.
Director of Administrative Services/ City Clerk