PLEASE APPLY IN PERSON. Applying in person may help speed the time it takes for you to receive your documents and it may save you money. Bring your completed applications and payment to Jamestown City Clerk, 200 East Third Street, Jamestown, NY 14701. Most records applied for at the City Clerk’s Office are received in 2 weeks via USPS. If the applicant applies in person they may receive the records the same day.
Please see the information below regarding your choice of record and note the types of identification needed. You may download the appropriate form prior to visiting our Clerk’s Office:
Application for Copy of Birth Record
A copy of a Birth Record may be issued to the person or parent named on the record once proper identification is presented. The fee is $30 through the City Clerk’s Office.
Types of proper identification include:
- Driver’s License
- Non-Driver’s Photo ID
- Naturalization Papers
- Military ID
- Employer’s Photo ID
- Two (2) utility bills, showing Applicant’s Name & Address
- Police Report of Lost or Stolen ID
Application for Copy of Death Record
Death records are kept on file for any person who dies within the City of Jamestown. Copies of a death certificate may be obtained by the decedent’s spouse, a direct descendant of the decedent, parent, or a person who has a legitimate purpose to obtain a certificate (proof of such purpose must be provided).
- Fee of $30
- See form for specific instructions
Application for Copy of Marriage Record
Marriage Certificates are on file in the Town/City Clerk’s Office where the Marriage License was obtained. A copy of a Marriage Record may be obtained upon completion of the form and remittance of the fee.
- Fee of $10
- See form for specific instructions.
Application for Genealogical Services
Uncertified copies or abstracts of records of birth, death, and marriage may be provided for research purposes.
- Fee: $22 (Includes search and uncertified copy or notification of no record.)
- Birth records must be 75 years old and the person must be deceased.
- Marriage records must be 50 years old and both parties must be deceased.
- Death records must be 50 years old.
- Time frames are waived for direct descendants.
- See form for complete instructions and stipulations for search requests.
Genealogy Request Form (PDF)